Tuesday, September 26, 2017

BOMT: Patterns of Praise

I was doing my morning scripture study going through the subheads on Christ in the Topical Guide. When I read these scriptures I typically scan the verses before and after for context. When I read 2 Nephi 9:7, in scanning for context I got completely sucked in and studied the whole chapter when I discovered a series of patterns where certain phrases were repeated over and over again. (This falls under ‘Single out Specifics’). The words Joy and Rejoice are words I typically single out and circle when I’m studying. The other patterns I had never really noticed before.



Regarding the Infinite Atonement: 
The merciful plan of the great Creator includes the Power of Resurrection (resurrection accomplished via priesthood power; Christ holds the keys) It also refers to this Power of Resurrection in 2 Nephi 10:25 and Jacob 4:11. 

Jacob's praise to the Lord when he witnesses and understands the plan: (I speak unto you these things that ye may rejoice, and lift up your heads forever, because of the blessings) — I’m interested in this because culturally we often don’t  offer up a lot of praise.  

(For more on the topic of praise within families, check out this post about teenage anger on my other blog, Divergent Pathways.)


O the wisdom of God, his mercy and grace! (v8)
O how great the goodness of our God (who prepareth a way for our escape)! (v10)
O how great the plan of our God! (v13)
O the greatness and the justice of our God!  (v17)
O the greatness of the mercy of our God, the Holy One of Israel! (v19)
O how great the holiness of our God! (v20)


He also has great disdain for Satan and his followers. He sees how treacherous our mortal experience is: 

O the cunning plan of the evil one! (v28)
O the vainness and the frailties and the foolishness of men!  

He gives these warnings: 

Wo unto the rich (for because they are rich they despise the poor) (v30)
Wo unto the deaf that will not hear (v31)
Wo unto the blind (v32)
Wo unto the uncircumcised of heart (uncircumcised refers to covenant making, so this would mean those who avoid or devalue their covenants with Christ) (v33)
Wo unto the liar (v34)
Wo unto the murderer (who kill deliberately) (v35)
Wo unto those that worship idols (v36)
Wo unto all those who die in their sins  (v37)

Then he continues pleading with his brethren (members of the church) to return and remember: 

O my beloved brethren, remember the awfulness of transgressing. Remember to be carnally-minded is death, and to be spiritually minded is life eternal.  (v39)

O my beloved brethren, give ear to my words. Remember the greatness of the Holy One of Israel. (v40)

O then my beloved brethren, come unto the Lord, the Holy One. Remember that his paths are righteous. (v41)

O my beloved brethren, remember my words. (v44)

O my beloved brethren, turn away from your sins; shake off the chains of him that would bind you fast; come unto that God who is the rock of your salvation. (v45)

Come, my brethren, every one that thirsteth, come ye to the waters...come buy wine and milk without money and without price. (v50)

Behold, my beloved brethren, remember the words of your God; pray unto him continually by day and give thanks unto his holy name by night. Let your hearts rejoice.  (v52)

He concludes with more rejoicing, praising the work of the Lord:

How great the covenants of the Lord, and how great his condescensions:…his greatness and his grace and mercy. (v53)

Here he whets their appetite for more, but is careful not to overwhelm them in a single session/chapter:

And now, my brethren, I would speak unto you more, but on the morrow I will declare unto you the remainder of my words.


I have to add that in reading some of these verses I was so moved by the spirit that I was completely overcome, I felt those feelings of joy and gratitude and awe and was choking back tears. Searching for patterns like this and really asking yourself what is happening, what is important here really opens you up to be taught by the spirit.


QUESTION: What has moved you recently from the scriptures?

No comments: