Tuesday, July 27, 2010

BOMT - In the Beginning...1 Nephi 1:1-4

1 Nephi 1:1

1 I, Nephi, having been aborn of bgoodly cparents, therefore I was dtaught somewhat in all the learning of my father; and having seen many eafflictions in the course of my days, nevertheless, having been highly favored of the Lord in all my days; yea, having had a great knowledge of the goodness and the mysteries of God, therefore I make a frecord of my proceedings in my days.

Good parents teach their children everything they know and have learned. Good parents/good teachers raised someone the likes of Nephi.

Having afflictions and being highly favored of the Lord are not mutually exclusive. In fact, it appears, since these are in the same sentence, that there is a corollary, and perhaps being highly favored brings on the afflictions, and our turning to him in the midst of those afflictions makes us again highly favored. (Think: The lord chastens those he loves.) Nephi's response to his afflictions is a deeper knowledge and understanding of God and His mysteries, and also a closeness to Him. Hardships seem inextricably linked to being loved by God and deepening our understanding of Him.

All of this compels Nephi to make a record of what he is learning and experiencing -- exactly what we're doing!

1 Nephi 1:2 -3
2 Yea, I make a record in the alanguage of my father, which consists of the learning of the Jews and the language of the Egyptians.
3 And I know that the record which I make is atrue; and I make it with mine own hand; and I make it according to my knowledge.

Lehi modeled good language for his children; made sure what was spoken in his home was not corrupted. His children may have been bilingual: (The learning of the Jews and the language of the Egyptians) or this may just define Reformed Egyptian. Nephi was literate and able to write clearly and succinctly because of the example of his parents, particularly his father.

In the way we both speak and write, we can model excellent language for our children. In diction and tone, and by avoiding anything coarse or profane, we can use our words as a vehicle to express our faith.

1 Nephi 1:4
4 For it came to pass in the commencement of the afirst year of the reign of bZedekiah, king of Judah, (my father, Lehi, having dwelt at cJerusalem in all his days); and in that same year there came many dprophets, prophesying unto the people that they must erepent, or the great city fJerusalem must be destroyed.

Lehi paid attention to the current counsel of the living prophets ("in that same year"). He prayed for personal confirmation of their prophesies, and prayed deeply (with all his heart) for "his people". He must have been at least a church leader, or could also have been (likely was) one of the many prophets preaching repentance to the people of Jerusalem.

I'm asking myself (and the Lord) Who are "my people?" Certainly my husband, my children. From there, the sisters I minister to; the choir I lead; loved ones in our extended family. What about my friends far and wide? You are definitely "my people". What about my ward, my community? I feel a sort of Enos-like experience coming on, where I want to pray for so many people!

Okay, I'm stopping now. I can't possibly apply more than these three ideas today.



p.s. I looked up the word Murmur in Webster's 1828 dictionary, and it's defined as: 1. (N) A complaint half suppressed, or uttered in a low, muttering voice. 2. (V) To grumble; to complain; to utter complaints in a low, half articulated voice; to utter sullen discontent;

I'm feeling totally busted for all the disgruntlement I mutter under my breath. There I was, thinking that didn't count if I didn't actually say it out loud. And I find myself instead camping out with Laman and Lemuel! One more thing to work on, after just a few verses of scripture! Very humbling.

No comments: